Fictionally, the stressed-out homeowner’s sink gets unclogged once a bottle of store-bought drain cleaner is used in the sink. Well, actually drain cleaners do help in some ways but in other cases, it causes more harm than help. When the kitchen drain is clogged, it makes washing the dishes and doing regular household chores difficult. Same goes for when the drain of the bathroom is clogged, it is difficult to shower. If the toilet is clogged, then it can make life at home very inconvenient. There are many reasons why you need to avoid using liquid drain cleaners, here are some of them.
- Chemicals in liquid drain cleaners are unsafe and unhealthy. Studies have shown that inhaling the fumes from liquid drain cleaner is incredibly unhealthy, especially when those fumes tend to linger longer than they should. The liquid drain cleaner also causes irritation to skin and eyes and it is recommended to wear gloves when handling such substance.
- Liquid drain cleaner is not a permanent solution. Using these chemical cleaners does not remedy the situation on a long term scale. Once bought and used, liquid drain cleaners are frequent on the basis in order to keep the drain clear.
- Drain cleaners are bad for plumbing and the earth. Chemicals found in the liquid drain cleaners are not good for the environment. The residue left in the bottles ends up in landfills and can enter the water and end up poisoning fish and other wildlife. It also damages the pipeline instead of actually cleaning them. The main chemical in the commercial cleaning solution is hydrochloric acid, it sits in the pipe and chews off the enamel and other expensive finishes in your kitchen or bathroom.
- Drain cleaners cause cracks in your toilet. It is known that most liquid drain cleaners on the market are made from chemicals which heat up when the product is used. If your toilet is clogged and you use these cleaners, it means that the solution sits at the bottom of the bowl. This results in heating and cracking of the porcelain of your toilet bowl. It might be an expensive replacement later on.
- There are times when you can use as much drain cleaner you want and it’s of no use. Well, it can be because there is some trouble in the sewer line or because of broken pipes. So dumping loads of chemicals won’t solve anything. If using a plunger does not work, then contact your plumber who will certainly help you out.