Remember when we were kids, our parents would always prevent us from touching the sockets or anything that had electricity. At that time, we used to be so angry, but now with our kids or our siblings’ kids roaming around and about near all those electrical wires and sockets, we have become like our parents. The fear of the kids being electrocuted is way too real, thus the need to secure every part of the house is important.
If you are worried about your kids playing safely around anything electric in your home or neighbourhood, you can go over the following electrical safety tips with your kids:
Do not plug in a bunch of stuff into one outlet or extension cord–doing so could damage the electrical system or even cause a fire in your home.
Make sure to tuck away all electrical cords as neat and tidy as you can–this will stop your pets from chewing on the cords, and from people tripping.
Do not ever climb a fence near an electrical substation–if a ball or pet gets inside the fence, ask an adult to call the electric company.
Do not yank an electrical cord from the wall–pulling on a cord could cause damage to the appliance, the plug, or the outlet.
Make sure to fly your kite away from power lines and substations– you might get electrocuted.
Always ask a grown up for help when you need to use something that uses electricity.
Always look up and look out for power lines when you climb a tree–the electricity can go right through the branch and right through you.
Remind your parents to watch out for power lines when they are using a ladder, chainsaw, or other outdoor equipment.
Keep electrical stuff far away from water.
Keep metal objects out of toasters.
Stay at least the length of a school bus away from broken or fallen power lines.
Never climb on power poles.
For those of you with little ones running around the house, you know how difficult it can always be to try to keep an eye on them. Sometimes they can put themselves in the most peculiar situations that you just cannot control.
To keep them safe you need to implement security measures, this is especially true when it comes to electricity. Here are some steps you can take to child proof your home from electrical hazards.
Electrical outlet safety cover
This is one of the number one way to keep your child safe in the home. Their little fingers can fit just about anywhere, and electrical outlets always seem to be the most enticing place to put them! Electrical covers fit over top of the outlet so nothing can be put into them.
Place electrical covers around your home in all the electrical outlets that are low to the ground and places where children can reach. There are number of different covers you can put on electrical outlets. Make sure you purchase electrical covers that are tamper-resistant, so you do not have to worry about your child removing the cover.
Keep electronics away from the tub
When giving your child a bath it can get messy. When the splashing starts water begins to fly and if it hits an electronic this can be dangerous. As we know, water and electricity do not go well together. Even appliances and devices that are turned off or unplugged can still cause electrical shocks if water contact is made.
When you are about to bathe your child, make sure you clear the bathroom of any electronics that are near by. This goes for the sink to. If you bathe your child in the sink you can sometimes forget about the hairdryer or shaver that was left near by.
By bumping a radio or phone into a sink or tub that the child is in, it could cause serious shock and injury. Make sure you clear the countertop before you start running the water.
Also, after bath time, make sure your child is completely dry before letting them loose. If they come into contact with any non-secure electrical cords or devices, the water will create an unpleasant shock.
Keep electrical cords out of reach from children
Our homes are full of electronics which each require their own cord. Especially behind the television and entertainment area there can be many extensions cords and power bars. Make sure that you keep these out of your child’s reach. If they start to pull on the cords and get access to the outlets and cables, there are a number of dangers. Put barriers around these areas or tie up the cables out of your child’s reach.
When unplugging electronics and appliances, do not simply pull the plug out and leave it on the ground. Children can play with the cords and the tampering can result in an electric shock. Wrap up your cords when you are done and place them out of reach for little hands. In addition, secure all cords so they are not loose for a child to trip over or pull at.
These are just a few ways that you can protect your child from electricity in the home. Spend some time today to review your home and the potential hazards. Electrical hazards can be a hidden danger, if you need help protecting your children, have an expert electrician review your home. We can help to identify dangers and protect against them.
Child Proofing Your Home
If you have really curious kids, you can use the following electrical tips to make your home safer for your kids around electrical objects:
Secure your unused wall outlet with plastic inserts that can be pulled off and stuck in the mouth or by blocking unused outlets with furniture. You can also consider using safety outlets that prevent any foreign objects from being inserted.
If you are use extension cords, make sure that they are tucked away behind furniture or use a hide-a-cord device. You can also use electrical tape to cover any unused plugholes on cords.
Keep all electrical devices and appliances, such as DVD players, hair dryers, toasters, etc., on a shelf out of reach or behind a barrier of some sort.
If you have any questions about our electrical safety tips for kids, or if you want to know more about our residential and commercial services, please contact the licensed electricians at Lion Electric in Mississauga, ON.