– Connection steps
– Cold water connections
– Hot water connections
– 2 types of water heater pressure reducing valve
– Electric water heater and pressure reducer
Are you installing a storage water heater or instantaneous water heater? In both cases, you must connect the water heater to the water supply before connecting it to the energy source:
– electricity, using the electrical diagram for water heaters;
– gas (town gas, butane or propane);
– solar (this is the primary circuit containing the heat transfer fluid).
Before connecting the water heater, you will have to fix it (a tripod installation does not exclude its fixing!). In the case of a storage water heater, make sure that the mounting and support can bear the weight of the water heater when loaded, and use supports suitable for heavy loads.
Caution: before working on your water heater, take the time to read the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
Water heater plumbing: connection steps
The installation of a water heater requires several types of plumbing connections, depending on its type and the configuration of the plumbing system:
– the connection to the cold water supply;
– the connection to the hot water outlet;
– possibly the connection to a buffer tank:
– installed downstream of the water heater;
– which complements your heating system to ensure your comfort, i.e. an additional hot water reserve;
– the connection to a pressure reducer for water heaters: installed upstream of the safety group, on the main pipe, ideally just after the water meter;
– if the water pressure in your pipes is too high (over 5.5 bars): this will avoid problems with your installation in general and your water heater in particular.
Water heater plumbing: connections to cold water
Case of the storage water heater
The connection of the cumulus to the cold water supply can be of two types:
The most frequent case, with a safety group which installed just upstream of the water heater on the cold water inlet, is that it acts as a safety valve, evacuates the excess water due to expansion and serves as a shut-off valve.
For water heaters with a capacity of fewer than 15 litres: in free flow, with a special tap that allows the excess water to flow directly and acts as a safety group.
Please note: before connecting the water heater, open the cold water inlet, let the appliance fill up to evacuate the air from the pipes and the water heater.
Instantaneous water heater
Connecting an instantaneous water heater to the cold water supply does not pose any particular problems.
The special case of the horizontal water heater
Due to its shape, a horizontal water heater can be supplied from the side (right or left) or from below: before you buy, you must make sure that you choose the right power supply for your configuration.
Attention: for most horizontal water heater models, the mounting positions cannot be changed.
Water heater plumbing: hot water connections
The bimetallic dielectric fitting
In accordance with standard NF C15-100, the installation of a dielectric fitting is compulsory on the hot water outlet of the cumulus. The bimetallic dielectric fitting is an anti-corrosion system:
– installed directly at the hot water outlet;
– whose function is to reduce the corrosion of the cumulus by an electrochemical couple, i.e. the effect of electrolysis which occurs between the steel of the cumulus and the copper piping);
– generally supplied with the cumulus.
For its installation, please refer to the manual of your appliance.
The temperature limiter
When connecting the water heater, if your pipes are made of synthetic material (PER, multilayer, etc.), you must install a temperature limiter at the hot water outlet of the water heater. This device guarantees a water temperature below 50°C.
Otherwise, you expose your installation to pipe bursting, as the resistance of these materials to temperature is limited, and therefore to flooding.
2 types of water heater pressure reducing valve
To carry on your installation, you can choose between two types of pressure reducer:
those which have a constant pressure and ensure you a regular and fixed pressure,
those that are adjustable, you can choose the pressure: they are equipped with a manometer.
It is placed:
either at the beginning of the network to protect your whole installation,
or on the cold water inlet at the beginning of the line of a water heater which requires a constant given pressure.
Its principle is based on the opposition of two forces:
– on one side, there is an obturator which blocks the pressure reducer and which is actuated by a spring, and on the other side there is the incoming water;
– when the water comes into contact with the obturator, it closes to reduce the pressure to the required or preset level.
Good to know: the pressure reducing valve has a mounting direction indicated by an arrow. If it is installed upside down, water will no longer enter your pipes.
Electric water heater and pressure reducer
To prevent excessive flow and premature wear of the tank of a water heater, the installation of a pressure reducer is necessary.
Installing a pressure reducing valve upstream of your electric water heater will ensure its proper operation:
– as it heats, the water expands: the pressure in the tank increases;
– at night, the demand for water being lower, the pressure of the general network increases, while your cumulus starts in off-peak hours.
For safety reasons, the pressure of your water heater is limited and it is recommended to reduce the network pressure to a value lower than that of the tank.
This is why you have a safety group that allows water to flow when the pressure is too high.
If you wish to find a professional to install your water heater, you can get in touch with Marlin Plumbing of Miami. They are the name to remember when thinking of plumbing Services, water heater installation, drain cleaner, bathroom remodel, leak detection, faucets repair, and pipe repairs.
Remember to share your experience with our readers in the section below!
One thought on “Hot Water Heater Plumbing in South Florida”
Hi! Your article “What’s Wrong with Your Water Heater? Wrong with Your Water Heater?” is very helpful for. After reading your article I got a lot of knowledge from your article. I am also working as a plumber with plumberlasvegass and researching about the pluming information. Thank you for sharing information.