– What are air ducts?
– Models of air duct
– The installation of a duct system
– Anything else after installation? Yes, cleaning the ventilation ducts!
– When to clean your air ducts?
– How to clean ventilation ducts?
– Who can perform duct maintenance?
– Cost of cleaning air ducts
What are air ducts?
Air ducts are a regulated installation for total air evacuation. Air ducts, or ventilation ducts, are connected to:
– a controlled ventilation air extractor,
– a smoke extraction system,
– an air handling unit.
Good to know: there is no unified technical document that regulates the installation of an air handling system in a single-family home, but rules govern the installation of ventilation ducts on company premises.
Models of air duct
Ventilation ducts are available in several models as described below:
|Types of ventilation ducts
|Flexible conduit: Aluminum reinforced with a spiral wire, Galvanized steel.
|Rigid plastic conduit
|Strength. Does not crush. Prevents pressure drop. Exists in small models (mini oblong sheath).
|Price. Reduced manoeuvrability.
|Flexible duct with sock liner
|Closed by velcro, facilitates assembly. Fonction anti jet.
For these reasons, the duct used for ventilation ducts must:
– not be cracked or crushed,
– be tense,
– have the strictly necessary length between each mouth,
– form rounded elbows.
If you need a professional for your ductwork, you can get in touch with Gateway Home Comfort.
The installation of a duct system
If the duct passes through an unheated space (attic, crawl space…), it is necessary to insulate it to avoid any humidity problems due to condensation.
If the duct is in several sections, seal the joints and connections with the appropriate accessories to prevent moisture leakage and noise infiltration.
When fitting air ducts, certain installations are necessary:
– Setting up the suspension systems.
– Roof outlet: the roof outlet must be made to measure according to:
— The type of slope,
— The type of roofing (tile, slate, etc.).
— The connection accessories must be perfectly adapted.
Anything else after installation? Yes, cleaning of the ventilation ducts!
Why clean ventilation ducts? Air duct cleaning is part of residential cleaning services such as window cleaning or façade cleaning. In a residential building, ventilation ducts must be maintained regularly to:
– avoid clogging (CMV networks draw in unfiltered air loaded with grease and dust: accumulation results in a loss of performance in air renewal);
– limit bacterial development;
– stop the propagation of germs such as legionella, the spread of fungi, moulds;
– avoid the proliferation of dust mites, which can cause allergies that can affect the respiratory system of home members;
– improve air renewal (stale air can cause headaches);
– extend the life of ventilation systems.
When to clean your air ducts?
The ducts of forced-air heating systems connected to furnaces should ideally be cleaned every 3 to 5 years (at the latest). Air exchanger ducts should also be cleaned at this frequency. This way, the units maintain their efficiency and the quality of your air remains optimal. However, certain factors can considerably reduce this period—for example, the number of occupants, the absence of a kitchen hood, pets, smoking.
Moreover, in the case of significant renovations, thorough cleaning of the ducts is required immediately upon completion of the work.
The ducts of bathroom fans and kitchen hoods do not require such regular maintenance. Just check their exterior dampers from time to time. Their condition is usually indicative of the state of the ducts themselves.
How to clean ventilation ducts?
Here is a table summarizing the steps and means required to clean ventilation ducts:
|Inspection, visual control and analysis.
|With the naked eye, with a camera or an exploration robot (casting, black and white or infrared).
|Duct cleaning, brushing.
|With the help of fine brushes, equipped with flexible sheaths.
|Suction, ventilation, sanitation.
|Using a central suction unit equipped with various filters.
|Disinfection and decontamination.
|Nebulisation of bactericides, fungicides, virucides, germicides.
|Control and evaluation of the ventilation system.
|Air quality analysis, use of sealing balloons, foam washers.
Who can perform duct maintenance?
If the basic maintenance of ventilation ducts can be carried out internally by the hygiene staff, it is more reasonable to call on professionals. Cleaning agents will have more equipment, while specialized cleaning companies will have the necessary equipment and skills to carry out safe and healthy duct cleaning.
Cost of cleaning air ducts
the cost of cleaning ventilation ducts depends on:
– the number of ducts to be maintained,
– the accessibility of the ducts,
– materials, products and methods used,
– the qualification of the personnel.
It is, therefore, essential to ask for an estimate before having the ventilation ducts serviced. The service can also be included in a global maintenance contract.